This morning, I noticed an announcement on Twitter that caught my attention. There had been a shooting this morning at First Baptist Church in Maryville, Illinois. Pastor Fred Winters was shot in the pulpit, losing his life in front of his congregation.
My heart breaks for the Winter family and for their church. My heart goes out to them, but I honestly cannot even fathom what they are experiencing right now. Nor can I claim to comprehend the joy and fulfillment that Pastor Winters is experiencing now in the presence of our Savior.
Pastor Mark Driscoll posted this yesterday on his blog – Five Questions to Heed.
- Does your church have a series of written, known, and practiced emergency plans?
- How secure is your children’s ministry?
- Does your church have security?
- Does your church have a warm relationship with the local police?
- Does your church have a policy for potentially dangerous people?